Monday, March 29, 2010

Musing Mondays is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page.  Today's Musing Mondays post is about multi-tasking.
Do you - or are you even able- to do other things while you read?  Do you knit, hold a conversation, or keep an eye on the TV?  Anything?



I prefer and am often not able to read an intriguing book with anything else going on.  I can scan the newspaper or a magazine with the TV on unless I'm reading a really detailed, long article.  I guess it depends on the complexity of what I am reading.  If the book or article is easy reading, I can have something else going on.  If my reading is full of intricate twists and turns,  I need quiet solitude. 

I can generally ride an exercise bike while I'm reading if there is a rack to put my reading material on.  I can't knit or do anything that requires delicate hand coordination and read.  I would have to keep looking back and forth between the knitting and the reading.  That would be distracting and would eventually give me a headache. 

It's really hard for me to hold any kind of coherent conversation and do much else.  As I said, I really prefer doing some things one at a time such as reading, conversing, swimming, singing, writing.... I have a lot more fun and get more out of whatever it is I'm doing

4 comments:

  1. My answer is similar to your, but I forgot that I could walk on the treadmill or ride my elliptical while reading!

    You can find my MM HERE

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes I like the white noise of music of the TV in the background while I read. but I don't really pay attention to it.and I could drink tea and read, but that is about it...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. True...some things are better doing alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question...I usually drive with my audio books, but when I read, I read.

    ReplyDelete